Scores of Chibok schoolgirls kidnapped in 2014 escapes from Boko Haram

0
36

The father of one of the Nigerian schoolgirls abducted in the northern town of Chibok said his daughter has escaped from the camp of Boko Haram, BBC reports on Friday.

Halima Ali Maiyanga, one of more than 100 young women still missing, called her father to say she and others had managed to flee Boko Haram militants Thursday.

“She asked me. Is this my daddy? Is this my daddy, and she started crying. The crying was [so] much and I couldn’t hear her very well. I was crying too. I never expected to hear from her again,” Ali Maiyanga said.

“The whole family is so happy. Our house is full of people who are rejoicing with us.”

Ali Maiyanga said he didn’t get a chance to speak to his daughter properly, as she was emotional and the call was short. But he said she and others are safe and being looked after by the Nigerian army.

Lawal Zannah, secretary of the Chibok Parents Association whose daughter was among those abducted, also confirmed the news.

“We heard that some of our girls have escaped from the forest, but we are yet to get the detail about their number,” Zannah told reporters Thursday evening.

Another parent, Malam Madu Mutta, said the Chibok community is anxiously awaiting the girls’ arrival.

“We were told they are currently with the security operatives. We are yet to know the numbers, but we are happy that some of them escaped,” Mutta told reporters Friday. “So many other parents and relatives are coming from Chibok with hopes of meeting their daughters. Again, hope is risen that we can have some of them back again.”

Boko Haram kidnapped 276 schoolgirls from Chibok town, Borno State which sparked an international outcry in 2014.

The Nigerian government in 2015 secured the release of 82 of the abducted girls in 2015.

Since then, there has been an outcry, protest and agitation by government oppositions and civil societies to rescue the remaining 114 girls.

Former Nigeria presidential candidate Obiageli Ezekwesili on Thursday said she hope that the rumored freedom of the remaining abducted girls is true.

Read Also: Buhari signs COVID-19 protection regulations, defaulters risk jail

“Yes, we have heard the rumors about our remaining #112ChibokGirls,” Ezekwesili, co-founder of the Bring Back Our Girls movement tweeted.

“Dear Lord, please let it be true that they have been released.

“No child, no parent, no one deserves what the #ChibokFamilies have been through in this country at the hands of their governments.”