Residents desert Nnamdi Kanu’s lawyer town after policemen’s death


A siege allegedly laid to Oraifite in Ekwusigo Local Government of Anambra State by a combined team of soldiers and policemen forced residents to flee the community yesterday.
The desertion of the community came on the heels of declaration of Ifeanyi Ejiofor, the lawyer to the Supreme Leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), Nnamdi Kanu, wanted by the state police command over an alleged killing of Oliver Innoma Abbey, the Oraifite Area Commander and the SARS Commander, Ichi Sector, Patrick Agbazue. The two officers led a police patrol team to the compound of Ejiofor in Oraifite, where the police allegedly shot at three persons and wounded scores of others suspected to belong to IPOB.
It was learnt that the seeming police invasion of the house of the counsel to Kanu, who had three days earlier buried one of his elder brothers, irked some youths in the area who allegedly launched a reprisal attack, which is believed to have resulted in the death of Abbey and Agbazue whose remains were burnt and buried near a village market.
The police and IPOB have given differing accounts of the incident in which not less than 20 houses and shops have been razed.
The Commissioner of Police, John Abang, who had visited the scene and vowed to bring the killers to justice, at a press conference yesterday recalled that his command had last Monday got “a formal complaint against one Barrister Ifeanyi Ejiofor (a member of the proscribed IPOB) in Oraifite on alleged case of abduction and assault occasioning harm and malicious damage to property.”
Abang, who was represented by the Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), Haruna Mohammed said that following the report, patrol teams led by Abbey mobilised and rushed to the scene in order to arrest the suspect who allegedly declined police invitation.
Another version said the two policemen got killed during a clash between rival masquerade groups in Oraifite, Otu Afor, Otu Nkwor and Otu Eke at the weekend in the heat of Ejiofor’s brother’s burial on Saturday.
A source, who pleaded anonymity, said that one of the rival groups had early on Monday morning, two days after the clash, reported the incident to the police who swung into action to effect arrests.
It was learnt that it was in the course of moving to effect arrests that the police stormed Ejiofor’s compound.
IPOB has denied any involvement in the attack and killing of the two policemen.
The group’s spokesman, Emma Powerful, said that the freedom fighters were not in any way responsible for the killing of the security agents, alleging that it was the policemen that killed IPOB members when they visited the house of their leader’s lawyer, Ejiofor, and took away their bodies to conceal the act.